June 08, 2008

No Country For Old Men


There are a bevy of movies I save to see when Sara is on call or otherwise occupied. Movies that would be of little or no interest to her or, more importantly, movies that are too violent. Sara has Friday and Sunday call so I got No Country For Old Men in anticipation of some time in solitude.
I've heard mixed reviews of the movie. Most people disliked at least the ending. Some people found the theme profound.
I'll watch it again and provide a full critique but, after a first watch, the movie struck me as a classic. Amazing one liners, deep abiding characterization, and themes that make me pleased to witness such great art.
One exchange that provided me with something to chew on occurred a ways into the movie. One character has another in a compromising position and inquires, "If this is where your rule has gotten you then what good is your rule?" While the question does have a specific context, this question one we all could ponder. Sort of like a Zen koan or a parable from scripture.
If how we live our lives ultimately leads to death (all of our lives lead to this), then what does that say about our lives and how we live them? What does this say about our code of conduct? If everything leads to the same end then how do we evaluate how we live?
I'll end with another sublime one liner:
"I'm just looking for what is coming"
"But no one ever sees that."

No comments: