April 09, 2008

Desert Wisdom


The desert fathers and mothers orally passed on instructive interactions between themselves. Eventually these were written down. There are numberless books of these sayings by contemporary authors. I find these books conducive to parenting; most of the stories are short--I find becoming engrossed in reading only to be interrupted exasperating-- and easy to finish. I've been perusing Desert Wisdom by Yushi Nomura and three days later, am almost done. As with my previous post on Dortheous of Gaza, the stories that jumped out at me had to do with judgement. Perhaps, there is a reason for this? Anyway here are a few from Desert Wisdom:


A brother asked Abba Hieracus: give me a word, how can I be
saved? The old man said to him: sit in your cell; if you are hungry,
eat; if you are thirsty, drink; and do not speak evil of anyone, and you will be
saved.


Abba Poeman said to Abba Joseph: tell me how I can become a
monk. And he replied: if you want to find rest here and hereafter,
say in every occasion, Who am I? and do not judge
anyone.


Like lots of endeavors in life, not judging others is easier said than done. In my experience thoughts of judgement pop up all the time (like every few minutes). I fall into judging myself for having the thought which isn't at all helpful . Instead, simply watching the thought or labeling it, 'judgement', seems to work best, for me.

No comments: