April 02, 2008

Suzuki-roshi


"Suzuki-roshi, I've been listening to your lectures for years,' I said, 'and I really love them, and they're very inspiring, and I know that what you're talking about is actually very simple and clear. But I must admit I just don't understand. I love it, but I feel like I could listen to you for a thousand years and still not get it. Could you just please put it in a nutshell? Can you reduce Buddhism to one phrase?'

Everyone laughed. He laughed. What a ludicrious question. I don't think any of us expected him to answer it. He was not a man you could pin down, and he didn't like to give his students something definite to cling to. He had often said not to have 'some idea' of what Buddhism was.

But Suzuki did answer. He looked at me and said, 'everything changes.' Then he asked for another question."
David Chadwick
Crooked Cucumber

1 comment:

AmicusDei said...

Nice blog. Keep up the good work. Blessings to you!